Thursday, June 11, 2009

One Tuesday Morning


The towers still standing

Okay, so all my posts have pretty much been about my kids and such but this one is going to be a little different. I’m not a very good writer and don’t really know that this is going to come out the way I want it to but I’ll try.

I have been reading the books One Tuesday Morning and Beyond Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury, and they are excellent books. I have read a couple of other books by this author and I really like her. She just has a way of grabbing your emotions and taking them into the story right along with the characters. I have cried through every book.

Anyway, these two stories are loosely based on the tragedy of 9/11. I have finished the first book and am into the second. I know that these stories are fiction but that day was such a tragedy and there were so so many lives affected on that horrible day that this very well could have been a true story. I was a sophomore when this happened and I really didn’t pay any attention to anything political or the news or anything so when this happened and we were all at school watching I have to admit I didn’t even know what the World Trade Center was. I really didn’t have a clue about how devastating those planes crashing into the twin towers was and. There were so many lives lost on that day. The firefighters that rushed to rescue people even though they knew they could be a victim. They were such heroes. I am sorry that I didn’t realize the magnitude of what happened that day. And the reality of the pain and loss. Really, it wasn’t until I started reading this book that I got a good idea of what families went through that day. The book isn’t so much about the events that happened but about what some families went through that day and the days following. The two main stories were a firefighter and his wife and 4 year old daughter and also a business man and his wife and son. It is such a sad sad story of all the innocent lives lost that day and the pain that these families had to deal with and still have to deal with. I can’t imagine how they feel. As some of the characters in the book point out- it seems like everyone has forgotten but they remember everyday ad especially every birthday and anniversary and the anniversary of 9/11. For me, living out here in the Midwest and not knowing anyone personally who was affected by this, I don’t ever really think about the sacrifice of those firefighters and police officers who worked the scene. This book has been really good to remind me of what happened that day and that there are men and women who risk their lives and give their lives everyday so that we can sleep at night. I’m sure there are a lot of you who have a husband or son or daughter or family member or close friend who is in the line of duty and I just thank you for your willingness to let them serve. I’m sure this book can’t show me even just how much you go through but it has given me a glimpse into your lives. And I for sure thank everyone who is out there fighting with the military. And the firemen and women and the police officers here in America that are all working for our safety. Thank you for fighting for our freedom and our safety!

This book had made me want to visit Ground Zero and just be able to honor all those heroes who gave their lives. Maybe some day.


The towers no longer standing.



Just a small yet powerful scene of the destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment