Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mod Podge , Wooden Letters, and Scrapbook Paper

This is an idea that my Mom first did about a year ago. She bought some really cute scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby and bought the letters for T-I-T-U-S and L-I-L-L-I-E (and also for my little sister K-I-M-A-L-E-E). Since no one knew yet what our baby's name was going to be she didn't get his name bought. And I have yet to buy them as well. She got the letters cut out for Titus but that was about as far as she got and then it got put away and forgotten about. Until recently that is!
So Lillie and I gathered the supplies while the little boys were napping.
We got the letters out (bought from, of course, Hobby Lobby-when they were 50% off).
The scrapbook paper.
The Mod Podge for gluing and sealing.
The wax paper for protecting the table.
The foam brush to apply the glue.
A pencil.
Some scissors.

Now to begin,
It is really simple to do and it spruces up the letters so much! Just lay the wooden letter face down onto the backside of the scrapbook paper and use a pencil to trace around it. Then you cut it out.

Since the paper for Titus was already cut out all we had to do was put a layer of Mod Podge on the back of the cut out paper letters and a layer on the front of the wooden letter.
Then we lined the paper up onto the letter and smoothed it out.
After we made sure it was all smoothed out without any bubbles,(Or at least a minimal amount of air bubbles) we put another layer of Mod Podge over the whole top of the paper to kind of seal it on.
You could probably skip this step if you wanted.
Then we just sat it out to dry for awhile.

There is Lillie doing her job. She was in charge of putting a layer of Mod Podge onto the wooden letter. She thoroughly enjoyed it!

The letters are now hanging in the kids room. I didn't get a picture of them though. It doesn't really look too fancy on their wall yet because we are still kind of in transition as to what rooms we will all eventually have. That deserves another post all by itself=) But my Hubby has a very long honey-do list=)

And I will try and have a post about what my little sis Kimalee's room looks like now! It is super cute. And actually her letters didn't get covered in scrapbook paper, but they are super cute!



6 comments:

  1. What a fun (and easy, and cheap) idea. I love it! I'm sure they look great, wherever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! John and I are working on something similar today-Isn't that funny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! These are fab, and love to see kids using Podge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mod podge! The papers you chose are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought I'd leave you a comment that I used your post/instructions to make some scrapbook paper covered letters for my son's room! Worked great!

    ReplyDelete