Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Poor Baby Girl

Well we just got back not too long ago from a trip to the ER. Not exactly what we were planning on for this morning.

Around 8:30 this morning Lillie and Titus thought it would be fun to go "play basketball" outside. So they both got their tennis shoes on and each got a "gym bag". They headed outside and Lillie told me she wanted to show me something she could do.

She climbed up on top of her playhouse-which she does all the time- and then she jumped to hang onto the basketball rim that was next to the playhouse. Since it was morning the rim was wet with dew. She grabbed a hold of it and swung forward a little and her hands slipped right off. She fell straight down back first. Thankfully the rim is not raised to its full height. But it was still a good 6-7 feet high. Matt and I both saw it happen from the porch.

She cried out but it didn't sound like it was too serious. Maybe just mostly scared. Anyway, I ran out there to her and Matt went back in the house. As soon as I got to her she was sitting up on her knees holding her left arm. Immediately I could see that her arm was crooked. I yelled at Matt that her arm was broken. He didn't hear me the first time but he did come back outside so I yelled again. He came over and we helped Lillie into the house and laid her down. I put an ice pack on it and told her not to move. All this while since I first hollered at Matt that her arm was broken she was insisting that "No, my arm is NOT broken".

I called Grandpa & Grandma Stucky since they live closest, to come stay with the boys so Matt and I could both take Lillie to the ER. When they got to our house we left. Then since the boys are a little much for great-grandparents for long stretches of time by themselves, Mark and Diane-Matt's parents-came and took over keeping Titus and Zethan.

Along the drive she was still crying that it hurt and I could tell she was pretty scared. So I prayed with her and sang to her and tried to talk to her. She wanted to go to sleep so bad. It was like she just couldn't take the pain and her little body was just going to shut it out by going to sleep. I had no idea if it was okay for her to sleep or not and I hadn't really checked her head after I saw her arm crooked. Since I didn't know, I thought I would be on the safe side and just made her keep her eyes open. At the ER they did say that it was fine for her to sleep. So she did =)

Anyway, at the ER they did X-rays (pretty much while she was sleeping) and obviously it was just to see how bad of a break, not whether or not it was broken. We saw the X-rays and it just looked terrible. Both of the bones in her arm were broken and shifted over. It was just above the wrist. Since it was so bad they couldn't just set it and cast it there. They put a splint on it and wrapped it securely so she can't move her arm. And then she has a sling on. We will take her back to out-patient surgery Monday morning so they can do surgery to set it straight. At least she will be completely out when they set it. Hopefully they won't have to put pins in it but they will see once they get in there. My poor baby girl. I just feel so bad for her. But she did so good and was so brave. She hardly ever made any noise or any cry while at the ER. Except when she heard mention of possibly needing a shot for pain if they set it there.

She was talking about how her arm was hurting and we were trying to tell her that the shot would help it feel better. So she quickly changed her story and said that her arm really wasn't hurting that bad anymore. Poor girl.

She got by without any needles today but of course they are going to have to put in an I.V. on Monday so I hope she doesn't freak out too bad. When she gets shots at the doctors office she puts up a pretty good fight. Last time her shoes flung off, she was trying to kick her legs so hard.

She is doing fine right now. Resting on the couch and watching netfix. Hopefully the boys will remember to be careful by her. They are so used to just wrestling and playing with her. They are going to have to take care of her instead of her taking care of them =) She really is a very good big sister. But I know she will heal soon. Just keep praying.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! That's a lot of trauma for all of you! Poor Lillie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sad to read. :( Hope everything goes ok with surgery and recovery. What a brave girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so sorry. My daughter has broken two bones in her short life. It just stinks. My doc says he sees more girls than boys, can you believe it? Praying for a speedy recovery it is so inconvenient w/ casts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck! I'll be praying for the surgery Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor lillie and momma!! You did so great handling it, it sounded like.

    My Landrey broke her arm, sounds like the same area. She had a bad break as well and she had the possibility of surgery, but after we saw the ortho doc he said that since she was so young (9 months) and it was by a growth plate that it would heal better than we thot. He bone was pushed 30ish degrees in the wrong direction.

    I am feeling your pain! I will be PRAYING!! Keep us updated on you sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete