Friday, July 20, 2012

MRI update

We had the MRI yesterday. It went very smoothly actually. I was a bit nervous about having to stay in that machine for up to an hour of just laying there. Well it actually ended up being about an hour and half of just laying there.

We got there around 1:00 and got checked in at admissions. Then they made me ride in a wheel chair down to the MRI place. I felt totally silly being wheeled around when I was perfectly capable of walking there, but whatever.

Then we went down there and waited for about half an hour and then they gave me some valium to take to keep the baby as calm as possible so they could get a good picture. I have never had it before so I was a little apprehensive about what it would do. But it turns out that either, they gave me a pretty low dose or it doesn't do too much. I got sleepy but at least I didn't feel like I was going to pass out or anything. I was pretty sleepy on the ride home though and the rest of the evening!

I got to lay my side also in the MRI machine so that was nice. I was concerned about having to be on my back for so long. So I laid in there for awhile while a lady did some preliminary pictures. Most of them I could just breathe normally for but a few I had to hold my breath.

Then I had to wait for a second person to come do the basic pictures of the baby. I think I fell asleep while waiting for him because I got quite startled the next time someone spoke to me! Ha! And baby seemed to hold still for the pictures as well. I don't think I felt him move while any of the pictures were being taken.

He did some more pictures and then a third person, who we think is a kidney disease specialist (I was not really thinking well to ask who he was), did a few pictures and it was done. It could not have been over at a more perfect time. I was just about to ask if they were going to be done soon because I couldn't take staying in the same position on that hard bed much longer.

The one who we think is a kidney specialist talked to us briefly and showed us some of the images. He showed us where the mass was that they were concerned about and that yes, the MRI confirmed it was there just as the sonogram had. His manner made it seem much less scary than before. He even said that it could be a Neuroblastoma tumor or just a cyst but didn't say which one he thought it was. He didn't really say anything about what the treatment would be if it was one or the other, other than nonchalantly saying that it would be easy to take care of. I hope he is right! But he was going to compare the MRI scans and the sonogram. Also, the weekly sonograms that I am going to be having should tell us more about the tumor/cyst/mass's characteristics and if it behaves more like a tumor or a cyst. He said that there is nothing to be done at this point and that these tests are all just to be able to be prepared for when the baby is born. And that when the baby is born then there will probably be a CAT scan and sonogram on him. I actually don't think that this doctor that we talked to will be involved much more in the treatment from what I can gather. There are 2 pediatric surgeons and those are the ones that our specialist said would be looking at the MRI and sonograms and deciding what to do. But I'll ask more at our next appointment.

So just more waiting to find out what it really is and pray that no other complications arise from it, I have about 6 weeks until my due date. The next appointment will be with our ob doctor and getting the biophysical profile done. We are praying that God will miraculously heal our baby but more importantly that His will will be done in our lives and that this will bring Him glory.

Each night during our family prayer time, the kids have been praying for their baby brother and it is so sweet to hear them be so concerned for this little baby that they haven't even met. Lillie especially is praying for him and that he won't have to have surgery after he is born and little Zethan will say "heal his little body" and it is just so special. Titus's prayer is that the baby won't have this sickness anymore. I love how they each have their own unique prayers and that they are already learning to lean on our Savior in all of life's trials.

Thank you to all of your sweet comments yesterday as well. It was touching to see so many people concerned for us and our baby and that they would take the time to lift him up in prayer. So thank you all.

6 comments:

  1. THANKS for the update! Really been thinking about you. Praying praying for you and that sweet little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this update! I've been praying for you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Karla Cook and my friends and family and I are praying too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your kids' prayers. It is a great affirmation to you that you are bringing them up "in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

    Will continue to uplift your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for your family, Kendra!! Thank you for the update. I love that your children are learning to lean on Jesus during life's trials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about your baby from your Aunt Karla. You are all in my prayers. Hearing about your children's prayers warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete