Then we went home for about an hour before we had to turn around and leave again. We dropped the kids off at Natalie's and headed into town once again to go pick up the MRI images and the sonogram images. The MRI disk was at the hospital so we had to park in the garage and then I walked forever down and through all these hallways to get to the image check out place. Then walk all the way back. Matt couldn't go walk and get them because of his back. Then we drove across the street to the building where the sonogram disk was.
The office was on the third floor but there was a sign at the elevator that said it only worked intermittently and we should use the stairs. So this other lady with her baby and I started trying to find the stairs. Turns out just the fire escape stairs were what we could use. We start walking up them and get to the third floor. But it has a pass code on the door and it was locked. So up to the fourth. Still locked. Then up to the fifth and thankfully it was open. And then when we got to the offices up there, they said that the elevators should be fine to use. What?!? I was a little worried it would stop in the middle of a floor but I went ahead and used it to go back down to the third floor since there wasn't any other way to get to the third floor. I made it =)
So I've got both disks that I need to take to the surgeons office-that their office told me to make sure and bring. With a few minutes to spare even!
We get to the appointment and quickly realize that this is not what we were expecting. We were SO FRUSTRATED.
I'm not going to go into every little thing that he said (or what I was thinking because I was told to be nice) but basically he told us that the conclusions (or the most likely conclusions) of the specialist and the radiologist were wrong and that this is not Neuroblastoma.
Well, you may think this sounds wonderful. Isn't that what we want? Not cancer? Well, of course that it what we are praying for! We would be ecstatic if this were not cancer!! And we sure hope that is the case!
But what was the surgeon basing his conclusion on??? Statistics. That's it. Nothing else. He didn't even ask to look at the images and I asked him if he had seen them and told me no. He said that statistically it was too rare for this disease to be diagnosed in utero and since they just had one in the Wichita area diagnosed in utero in the last few months, which was the first one in ten years, then our case could not be the same.
Here is a sonogram picture of the mass/tumor that they are concerned about. It just seems so big to me inside the body of my little baby.

oh dear~
ReplyDeletewe have been praying so much for you guys. so many ups and downs! i am so sorry that you have been having other complications as well. praying everyone gets to feeling better soon, and that you will feel covered in prayer and as calm as possible. i feel an evening of pedicures coming on for you and i!!!
how frustrating indeed. Are you talking about dr. K? (leaving his full name out, out of protection of his rep) I asked b/c he was the first surgeon we shall with MW when he was 6/7m and was all he isn't failure to thrive, he doesn't need this sx etc etc. Well a few months later after MW became alarmingly failure to thrive we got Dr. Molick and she was A-MAZ-ING! Maybe you can get referred to her instead. I am guessing here since I pretty much know these are the only ped. surgeons in this area...good luck. Surgeon have HUGE egos HUGE! They don't like other doc/ppl telling them anything, b/c they are pretty sure they are gods...praying for you and hopefully that it isn't cancer!
ReplyDeleteOh, Kendra!!! {{{hugs}}} All that walking when the other day they made you ride in a wheelchair down the hall. It's a wonder you didn't go into labor!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for all the uncertainty and how abrupt the surgeon was with you. I can understand how utterly frustrating that must be. Hang in. We'll keep praying!
Love, Aunt Karla
Oh, Kendra, I'm praying for you guys. I'm wondering too if you went to Dr. K. We went to him for Emily and when she had surgery complications he was very unsympathetic and made some comments that should not be repeated. I second the recommendation to go to Dr. Mollick. She did a procedure on another one of our kids and was amazing!!
ReplyDeleteLori Goebel
Dearest Kendra and Family,
ReplyDeletePraying that God surrounds you and your precious family with peace and patience these last weeks before little Veer arrives. That feeling of uncertainty and "not knowing" the exact diagnosis or situation with baby Veer must be so exhausting.
Stay strong. God is with all of you. He IS in control.
Love and Grace and Peace and Prayers without Ceasing!!