Friday, July 30, 2010

Allergy Testing for Titus


As I have said before, Titus had/has severe eczema. He finally was referred to an allergist, who did some tests to see what he is allergic to. Thankfully his allergies don't cause him breathing problems. Although he would get bloody noses quite often, so I think that did have something to do with the allergies. Anyway..

You see all those spots on his back? Well the nurse pushed this little spiky thing onto his back that had the allergen on the tip of it. Each tip had a different allergen. If he reacted to it, much like a mosquito bite, then he is allergic.

I didn't think to take a picture while she was actually pushing those things on his back, but after she left I took a picture of it in the little trash thing.

Here's my little man just laying there so nicely. The way he was acting, the nurses thought he was just the greatest little patient. So calm. So sweet. They don't know how UN-CALM he usually is.

But the nurses were so super nice. They had a TV with cartoons and a box of books and some snacks or drinks. It didn't actually take too long. We were there for about an hour total. And after she put those things on his back we only had to wait for 15 minutes for the allergen to react on his skin. They found out he is allergic to tree nuts, cats, and dust mites.
We got allergy covers for his pillow and mattress but didn't really think too much about the tree nuts because he doesn't eat nuts anyway. Well a couple of weeks ago his feet got terrible again and I just happen to think maybe it was the honey nut cheerios I had just restocked and he had been eating everyday. I read the label and sure enough, pure almond extract was in the label. So we nixed those. And now his feet are almost completely better!

Of course now we have new kittens around he is playing with, but since it isn't like a life threatening issue, we'll let him have his fun with the kitties=)


No comments:

Post a Comment