Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Poor Baby

Zethan has been struggling with a lot of respiratory problems all winter and he frequently gets low grade fevers. It has been a struggle to keep him healthy for very long stretches. So once again, he developed a cough, either due to allergies and/or a virus. He had a cough for a few days then he got a really high fever. The fever started on Friday and would get up to 102-104 when medicine would wear off, or the medicine would only keep it a low grade fever. Each day, I would think he would wake up and his fever would be gone but each day he was still hot to the touch whenever he would wake up. So Monday came around and he still had the fever and chest congestion. So I took him to the doctor. Again.

He didn't say exactly what he has this time. But last time we were in, he said he was unofficially diagnosing him with some chronic bronchial thing. He thought he was too young to do any extensive testing.
But he doesn't usually get this bad of a fever so along with antibiotics this time he put him on another prescription for 3 days. Plus, Singulair once a day and 2 different medicines for his nebulizer.

After we get this bout all cleared up, the doctor wants us to keep him on the pulmicort in the nebulizer once a day, every day for a couple of months to try and strengthen his lungs. That way there will be a better chance of him outgrowing this. Well, that would be the ideal thing to do anyway-be on the pulmicort. So I went to the pharmacy to pick up the prescriptions BUT the pulmicort was going to be almost $500. Yes $500, not a typo, no I didn't misspeak. So needless to say, we left that one there. Any pharmacist I talked to that day, which was like 3 of them, were very nice and said, "I wouldn't get that filled either!"

So I have a few samples of it that will last a couple weeks, so we'll use those and then the second option was to stay on singulair every day instead. And the doctor had samples of that, so I went back to the doctors office and picked those up.
Poor Zethan just isn't his happy playful self and he mostly just wants held and snuggled, while being terribly cranky.

And as much as we have been to the doctor for Zethan, we have been just as much for Titus. He has gotten a couple of random ear infections in the last couple months. Plus he has severe eczema. So we did all the traditional treatments suggested by the doctor and he even was on oral steroids for a couple weeks, and that actually cleared it up almost. But it came right back. So we now have an appointment with an allergist at the end of June to get some more answers. Hopefully.

Boy, that got windy=)

Here are some pictures of my poor baby Zethan today. The captions are his own words=) Ya know, what I could tell he was thinking=)

Oh no! Not the breathing treatment again. Get that thing away from me.

Noooo! I'm going to grab it from you so you can't use it on me.

Moooommmmyyyyy! I don't feel good and that thing tastes NASTY! Don't make me do it! Doesn't my sad face just melt your heart. You can torture me anymore when I look like this! Right?!

Oh! I can hold it myself!? Well, okay then. I'll give it another try.

Hmm, stills isn't any fun but if I can hold it myself....

I'm trying to hold myself together, but I really don't like it.

I'll just take it in the other room so you can't see me. Or take any more pictures.



2 comments:

  1. Poor Zethan! I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor little boys :( wish zebbers felt better i miss him.

    ReplyDelete