Garden Variety
We have a big garden plot at our place but it is far from full! But we enjoy what we have planted this year. Most things we have already been able to enjoy eating. But some things, like the corn and bell peppers, we still have to be patient a little longer for.
This is an overall view of our garden. You can see most all of what is growing. Except maybe the bell peppers.
There is a look at our green beans. I love cooking fresh beans and putting salt and butter on them. So good! If you look past the bug eaten leaves you'll see that there are actually some good sized beans on there. This is our first year growing green beans so maybe next year they will look a little better. But I don't think I'm really up to canning or freezing a bazillion beans so that is okay=)
This picture above is what the potato plants look like after you dig them up. They look so unassuming on the top, just some leaves that could even be mistaken for weeds. But then you dig them up and this little part of a potato that got planted months ago has turned into this bunch of little potatoes. Usually you get a couple good sized ones, and quite a few little ones. Again, cook 'em, butter 'em, salt 'em. Oh yes!! And we have red and white varieties.
Here is our little bucket of produce we picked and pulled and dug. The carrots aren't really technically ready yet, but it is so fun to pull them up and see this long orange carrot come from the ground. And these seeds were very little seeds to plant and just look at how God engineered them to grow into these beautiful orange and green plants. These weren't actually my favorite. I like carrots but I'm not sure if it was just because they were too young or if the flavor was just too different. Titus tried them raw with ranch and he ate some and said he liked them but then after a little bit he decided to throw them in the trash. Lillie would hardly even try them, and then I cooked them and fed them to Zethan and he LOVED them! YAY! He actually loved all the things I cooked! Beans, Potatoes, Carrots.
Oh yes, and we can't forget about the onions. I didn't actually need any onions but Titus saw the potatoes and he wanted to get some out of the garden himself. So off he went and when he came back, he brought with him these onions. I guess he didn't realize what was what. So I did cut one up and cooked in in the pot with the potatoes to give them a little extra flavor. Not that they needed it.
Isn't that such a beautiful sight? Bright green beans all washed clean? The white and red potatoes? Maybe I'm a little biased since I was the one out in the 90+ degree heat getting them out of the dirt and into our house... but anyway. It was just so fun being able to have food right from our garden! So delicious! And healthy! Anyone want to join me for supper? =)
Oh yum! Tell Tidy to dig me some onions... I need some, ha! :) I love those new potatoes!
ReplyDeleteI love my garden, too, but it's a lot smaller than yours! I've frozen some green beans, and I have to tell you that it doesn't take any time at all (but then again, I don't have three kids!) - boil for 3 min, put in ice water for 3 min, then into the freezer bags. Good luck with all of it! :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks great!!
ReplyDeleteMy garden is kind of sad this year but we were busy remodeling and moving so I didn't get to plant much.
We have tomatoes, 1 green bean plant, eggplant, jalepeno, strawberries, watermelon, and canteloupe. But I'm hoping to do more next year.