Simon is already 2 weeks old today! Time has definitely gone by much quicker since his birth. He is doing well. We went in for a weight check-up yesterday and he was still an ounce off his birth weight but had gained a whole ounce per day since his one week check-up. I had thought he was almost to his birth weight then but he was only 8lb 2oz at his first check-up and now he is 8lbs 8oz. So he has been gaining much better this second week of his life!
He is still very very sleepy during the day. I try to wake him every 3 hours to nurse. I can get him to eat well, but he is pretty much just eating in his sleep and I can hardly wake him. Sometimes when I change his diaper he doesn't even wake up! But then during the night, he is usually awake for at least an hour every time he eats. He will eventually go back to sleep but he seems uncomfortable and needs to burp a lot during the night. So I don't really know why he would have more gas during the night than during the day??
The kids are still very much enjoying him. Zethan will sometimes ask if he can kiss the bump on baby Simon's head to make it feel better. It is so cute!
****Simon has a big bump on head that has been there since birth. The doctors said that it is from him being so low, down on my cervix for so long while he was in utero, that it just built pressure and fluid on there. It will eventually go away but could take a couple of months. It doesn't seem to bother him.
Yesterday we visited my grandma at her Health Food Store (and my mom works there too) and she was holding Simon for a long time. She asked Zethan if she could keep him. He shook his head no and told her, "You didn't grow him out of your tummy." So funny!!
For the most part, we are doing great with dealing with everything. We are able to just enjoy Simon and how sweet he is and don't really think too much about the fact that he has a tumor inside him.
I forgot how much time it takes to just take care of a newborn, that that is mostly all I am focusing on. Taking care of a newborn and recovering from giving birth-(oh and that little detail of having 3 other children that somehow have needs too and a house that doesn't clean itself). But really Simon has been a fantastic newborn! I am just so thankful to get to be taking care of him! And between people bringing food and the frozen meals I already had, I haven't had to worry about cooking much! Which has been a huge blessing! And before Simon was born I went to Sam's and bought a big pack of paper plates and bowls so I haven't had to do many dishes either!! With not having a dishwasher that has been great!! A lot more trash bags are taken out-but at least I'm not spending lots of time washing dishes! Haha!
We actually have an appointment today with the pediatric oncologist. It just doesn't seem quite real that we are taking our child to an oncologist. A cancer doctor. Our baby. But we know that right now, Simon is really in a good place. The tumor is small and the outlook is great! We are just praying that it stays that way!
Okay well, I guess that concludes this random post!
Just prayed for you!! Thanks for the update, been wondering about you all. BIG HUGS!!
ReplyDelete