I got a call from the specialist office this morning that they wanted me to come into their office for another sonogram so they could compare it to the first sonogram that they did two weeks ago. That way they could compare it better since it would be the same technician, same equipment.
The sonogram today seemed to show about the same thing as the one on Monday as far as I could tell. But the specialist said that the changes did not seem to be anything to be concerned about. They weren't bad changes or necessarily good changes.
She thought that maybe there was a bleed into the mass.
I asked her if what it looked like now changed her opinion of what she thought it was (Neuroblastoma, with a the slight chance of being a cyst or something else).
She said that she would need to do more research on whether a bleed would be more consistent with a cyst or with neuroblastoma. It is so rare to even find a mass here that I guess she wasn't confident in saying much else. As my sister said, you know it is rare when even the specialist has to so research.
But since everything checked out okay with the baby and he wasn't in distress or anything, then we are still just waiting and watching it.
She did want me to begin coming to her office for the sonograms from now on so we can avoid this situation again where the other office sees a change and then I end up having to come in to her office anyway to check on things. (Some of the images that got sent over from the other office looked concerning but in viewing the sonogram today, she concluded that it was just the way the picture was taken.) So I will continue my ob care with my regular ob but then have the sonograms at the specialist office. It is more driving and more time consuming this way- but I am happy to do it to make sure we keep a good eye on our baby!
Also, we did get an appointment scheduled for next week with the other pediatric surgeon. The sonogram technician and the specialist were both very apologetic about having to deal with that! So far they have been so so kind to us!! In fact, the specialist wasn't even scheduled to talk with me after the sonogram today but she came out and talked to me to reassure us!
We have quite a few questions for the surgeon and hopefully she can answer some of them. I know that it is still another 4 weeks before my due date so we may have more info as to what this thing is by the time he is born but we would at least like to be somewhat prepared for the different scenarios and for what the first step will be after he is born to get it figured out.
After my appointment today I got to go to Target and get a few things I needed to have on hand for when the baby comes. Yesterday I got the cradle out of the basement and made a new cover for the bumper pad and a new sheet for it. We don't know how long he will need to stay in the hospital-if at all-when he is born but I feel good about having things come together to be ready for when he is home!!
1. yay for getting the other surgeon!
ReplyDelete2. glad to hear everyone is optimistic...what a process all this has been.
3. yay for getting baby things ready, it could be anytime now. Thanks for keeping us posted! Hugs and prayers for you all!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete