Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gumball Birthday Party

Titus had his 3rd birthday yesterday! We decided on a gumball theme and had games that went along with that and the cake was decorated like a gumball machine! I thought it turned out great and was kind of proud of it because I am NOT a decorator. So I was showing it off and my brother Kylan and my dad couldn't even figure out what it was. Oh well.
We had my immediate family over for the party. Since there are quite a few of them with my siblings and all the cousins and married couples I decided to make some chocolate cupcakes to go along with the cake. A tradition in our family is red velvet cake for birthdays. It is a recipe my mom has always used since I can remember. We all LOVE it!


There are the swirled chocolate cupcakes! I used cream cheese frosting for the red velvet cake so I just used the leftovers of that to frost the cupcakes. I put different colors in ziploc bags and them snipped a hole in the corner so I could squeeze it out to decorate!

A game we played was 'Pin the Gumball on the Machine'. Natalie drew this fun picture for me! We blind folded the kids and spun them around and they had a fuzzy pom pom with tape on it and they had to try and get it in the open area of the machine. So fun! Titus was the most funny! I guess I spun him a little too much because he just could not keep up right. It was pretty funny.

Yay! He is 3 years old now!!

Another game was guessing how many gum balls were in the jar. I let everyone write down their guesses and whoever was the closest got to take the jar home. Everyone did a good job but Matt was the closest with a guess of 310. There were 311. So we let the 2nd place guess win=) It was Mallory!

Here is Titus with his present from us. Since his birthday is only a month after Christmas we don't usually do anything too extravagant as far as gifts go. He was just fine with his pillow! He really liked it I think!

Here we are eating pizza and waiting for the others to get there. The party was supposed to start at 6 but because of the snow it took longer for everyone to get home from work and then get on their way to the party. When my dad came home from work he got stuck in his Prius right in the middle of the driveway so it blocked any other vehicles from getting out. It doesn't do well in snow I guess. So it took awhile to get it pushed out of the way enough for their van to get through. And they had all the cousins-Everet, Caden, and Emily- with them! Plus all their kids! Crazy! But they made it. And I am so glad everyone got to come! Thanks everyone for braving the snow covered roads for Titus!
They are finally here so Titus gets to blow his candles out!


Here is his present from cousin Emily. A drum set. It is actually pretty cool. I may or may not have gotten preoccupied playing it when I should have been doing other things=)
And Grammy got him a green Leapster so he doesn't have to try and take Lillie's! He has been enjoying playing that!

Thanks everyone for coming over and celebrating with us!

3 comments:

  1. I remember Kayla having red velvet cake on her birthday. :) Happy birthday Titus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the gumball cake! My sister's used to make me the most amazing cakes for my birthday. The favorite was a coconut bunny cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just came across your blog while looking for gumball theme ideas for my daughter. I love your cake...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete