Sunday, November 8, 2009

Granola Time

Sometime last week, my sister-in-law Natalie came over for a little visit! It had been a while since we had hung out so it was fun having her over. Of course the kids just wanted her to play with them the whole time. But we did manage to get some granola made while she was there! I have a recipe that is one my mom always made growing up. I LOVE IT!
There is Natalie wearing my lemon apron from my sis Krista. And she is helping Lillie put her apron on, of course also made by Krista=) And if you notice in the background the walls are all yellow now! I haven't got all the extra decor or curtains up yet. I am still trying to find curtains. But I have really only looked online and can't find anything I like. I haven't had time to go look at fabric yet so I might have to go that route if I can't find what I want already made. Anyway...

Lillie is measuring the honey out. I think.

After baking the oats for a bit, getting ready to mix them into the rest of the ingredients. And my huge pizza pan works the best for that right now, b/c my jelly roll pan went AWOL.

Oh, Titus just woke up from a nap. Quick, grab a picture. Nope, he really didn't want to.

Thanks Natalie for coming over! You need to more often!

And here is the recipe:

6 c. oatmeal (3 c. quick/ 3 c. old-fashioned)
3/4 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. coconut
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. oil
1/4 c. bran
2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp vanilla

Oven at 350 degrees. Bake the oats for 10 minutes. Stir all the dry ingredients together. Add the honey, oil and vanilla. Mix all together. Spread on pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Stir it all. Bake for another 7 minutes.

I cool mine on wax paper. Then store it in a sealed container in the fridge.

Matt eats his plain. I eat mine with milk on it. Maybe you'd like yours over yogurt.

Oh, and the wheat germ is found in the cereal aisle at walmart somewhere by the instant oatmeal. And you can buy sesame seeds in the spice row. Or I think when Matt had to find it once, he found some in the Mexican food aisle. And if you find bran, let me know, cuz I can't. But it tastes fine without it. So if you can't find bran, don't worry about it.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy looking recipe! I'm pretty sure they have bran at Prairie Harvest waaayyy in the back in a metal laundry tub. It's cheap too☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much fun too!! So fun to see you all - we need to do it more! Glad the kids could come play yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete