Now that we are living on the farm, they have been coming out to our place to wash the wheat and dry it. Lillie and Titus have been enjoying 'helping' them!
After it is harvested, they store it in big barrels. When they are ready to clean it they vacuum it out of the barrels (there is just a small opening on the barrels) with an old vacuum. Then they empty it into these metal tubs. They usually just do 2 of these tubs full each cleaning. Then they run water through it so the running water can wash out all the empty wheat and extras that came along with the wheat. They use their hands to shwoosh it all around to make sure it all gets clean.
It is all clean now! All the light, loose pieces have floated out. They have been doing this for so many years that they have the system done pat on just the right way to do it.
Now its time to dump the extra water out of the tub. Careful, don't spill the wheat!
Grandma Stucky holding Zethan so I can take pictures! He likes to watch too=)
Then they have these screens they spread the wet wheat out on so it can dry out. These hot summer days are perfect for wheat drying.
Lillie helping dump the wheat onto the screens.
You have to pat your hand underneath it for a little while to help get the extra water out of the middle. For some reason it doesn't run out real well by itself. Lillie liked catching the water in her mouth?! Funny girl!They usually come out around 8 in the morning and then if I'm going to be home I stir it around noon to help it dry faster, then they come pick it up in the afternoon sometime. After that they take it home and finish up the process there. I'm not really sure what else they do. But eventually it ends up being ground up and used to make delicious home made cookies, bread, and other treats! We all LOVE Grandma Stucky's homemade wheat bread!!
I've always wondered how to do that. I have a wheat grinder, but never knew how to get Dad's wheat clean.
ReplyDelete