(I will do another post on how I organize each weeks lessons and our "schedule", motivational ideas, etc.)
Okay, so this year:
Zethan, 1st Grade:
We are doing Sonlight Level 1 for his Language Arts, which includes: Spelling, Phonics, Reading, Writing
Then supplementing phonics with Explode the Code, Level 1-3. (Which is what Sonlight recommends if you do want to supplement) These are worksheets and then the teacher's manual has activity/game suggestions for practicing sounds.
He also has some ipad apps that help review sounds/words/reading.
Math: Math-U-See, Alpha
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting, Level A
Science: Elemental Science for the Grammar Stage. Earth Science and Astronomy. This I can use for all 3 of my kids that are in school! Love that!
History: We should be using the Sonlight Core A that I got to use but found that using 3 different cores of Sonlight was just way too much for my style. So we actually dropped the history that I bought for Zethan (and Titus) and are more or less just doing unit studies with them. I feel like they are learning a lot more and then I can kind of coordinate the History that Lillie is doing, with the boys also. I should mention that I really really liked the idea of Sonlight with all the great books and everything working together, but unfortunately it just did not work well with 3 grade levels and having a 3 year old and a newborn in the house!
I also try to get in at least 30 minutes of reading out loud to Zethan from a book or books of his choice!
Bible/Verse Memory: Probably slacking more than I should in this area since obviously our relationship with our Lord and Savior is most important. But we are just working through our church's Awana program. So Zethan is learning verses for that!
Art: Different project each Friday from things I find online!
Titus, 3rd Grade:
Spelling: Sequential Spelling level 1 the DVD-Rom version.
Phonics: MCP level 3, worksheets
Reading: All About Reading
Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, level 2. This has grammar and also has poem memorization
Writing: Getting ready to start, Institute for Excellence in Writing, Student Intensive A. Super excited about this!
Math: Math-U-See, Gamma level. Also flashcards for getting those math facts down!
History: Unit studies
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting, level T, which stands for transition. That means he will be learning cursive this year! He is actually very excited about this!
30 minutes of me reading to him from his choice of book
Bible/Verse Memory: Awana program from church
Science: Elemental Science for the Grammar Stage. Earth Science and Astronomy. This I can use for all 3 of my kids that are in school! Love that!
Art: Different project each Friday from things I find online!
Lillie, 5th Grade:
History: Sonlight Core D+E, American History. This has books for her to read out loud and also books for me to read out loud to her. It has actual History books and fictional books that all work together. She is really enjoying all the stories!
Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, finishing level 3 from last year.
Spelling: Sequential Spelling, level 2, the DVD-ROM version
Vocabulary: Wordly Wise, level 3000
Writing: Getting ready to start, Institute for Excellence in Writing, Student Intensive A. Super excited about this! Lillie and Titus will be doing this together.
Handwriting: A reason for Handwriting, level E.
Math: Math-U-See, Delta level, Also flashcards for getting those math facts down!
Science: Elemental Science for the Grammar Stage. Earth Science and Astronomy. This I can use for all 3 of my kids that are in school! Love that!
Bible/Verse Memory: Awana program from church
Typing: Free online programs
Art: Different project each Friday from things I find online! Having a lot of fun with this!

Yeah, don't try to do 3 Sonlight Cores at once. That's enough to make anyone crazy! It sounds like you're doing great! You've definitely got a lot going on.
ReplyDeleteIf you run into anything (with your Sonlight stuff) that you have questions about, you know you can live chat with me at http://www.sonlight.com/help/choosing-your-curriculum/advisors/. I'm usually there Monday through Thursday, though sometimes I'm on the phone. So if you end up with a different advisor, be sure to ask for me!