Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Surprise Heart Cake

So I saw this link on Beki's blog and thought it was so cute and it would be perfect for Valentine's! But of course I need to practice before then so here is my first practice heart cake!
I know, I know, it isn't exactly the most perfect heart. But, Next time I should know how to carve out the cake a little better to make the top of the heart not so square-ish. Also, since I am no where near a perfectionist, I didn't bother to try and level my cakes before I stacked them. They actually baked pretty even except that my oven must not be level.

There is my creation. The piece that I cut out is sitting next to the main cake, that is why it looks a little funny in the picture.


So there it is! I thought it turned out well for the first try. And just a note about the recipes for the white cake on the link. I did not like the white cake that well. It was edible- of course- its cake =) But I would most likely do a different recipe. That one is super duper dense and I don't know if it has to be that way to keep the heart shape, but I guess I'll find out next time. Also, the frosting I didn't like too much. It was just butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk but it was not good at all. Maybe the butter I used was bad but I will probably stick with my tried and true cream cheese frosting that I always use.

3 comments:

  1. I always use buttercream icing. It's amazing - and great for decorating. (just in case you're interested...) Good luck!

    http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very late in responding, but you did great!! I can't believe you tried it. :) It looked way too tough for my skill level.

    ReplyDelete